The Marbles - Area 11 - Giallo antico (marmor numidicum) and various alabasters

Panel 106 - Location

Giallo antico marble was imported to Rome from the late 2nd century AD.

It was used especially for revetment panels and column shafts, of which a generous donation to Ostia by the emperor Tacitus (AD 275-276) is documented.

Panel 106 - Figure 1Sample of giallo antico marble from the Podesti Collection
(Pensabene P., Bruno M. 1998)
Panel 106 - Figure 2Sample of alabastro a pecorella from the Podesti Collection
(Pensabene P., Bruno M. 1998)
Panel 106 - Figure 3Sample of alabastro listato or fiorito from the Podesti Collection
(Pensabene P., Bruno M. 1998)

The blocks on display here, imported already in the 1st century AD, were used only in a late period, as shown by their discovery in the building of the opus sectile outside Porta Marina.

Panel 106 - Figure 4Marble inlay in giallo antico marble from the building of the opus sectile outside Porta Marina
(De Masi 2005)
Panel 106 - Figure 5Marble inlay in giallo antico marble from the building of the opus sectile outside Porta Marina
(De Masi 2005)

The block of alabastro a pecorella from Algeria and the two column drums in alabastro listato (or fiorito) from Asia Minor, similar to others found in Rome, must have been intended for the production of revetment panels.

Panel 106 - Figure 6Rome, Museo delle Civiltà. Detail of the floor in the building of the opus sectile in giallo antico, pavonazzetto, serpentino and porfido rosso egiziano
(De Masi 2005)
Panel 106 - Figure 8Museo Ostiense. Table support in alabastro a pecorella
(Bruno M. 2019)
Panel 106 - Figure 7Ostia. Discovery of the blocks of giallo antico marble during the excavation of the building of the opus sectile outside Porta Marina in 1959

See also: