Terme di Nettuno. I mosaici
The view from the terrace, on the first floor of the building, allows us to appreciate the uniformity and quality of the baths’ mosaic decorations. Deities and marine subjects allude to the theme of water, clearly connected to the building’s function as a bath complex.
The first room (A) shows Amphitrite, Neptune’s wife, riding a sea horse and accompanied by tritons; in the second room (B) is Neptune himself with a trident, driving a four-horse chariot drawn by sea horses, surrounded by dolphins and tritons blowing on shells.
The frigidarium (room for cold baths) (C) was also paved with a mosaic depicting Scylla, the monster who killed seafarers, surrounded by marine deities.
These mosaics are important evidence of the rich mosaic production of Ostia’s workshops at the time of Hadrian (AD 117-138).
- The area serving the river and the warehouse district
- Mura repubblicane - Porta Romana
- Magazzini repubblicani e Caseggiato del Cane Monnus
- Terme dei Cisiarii
- Cippi di Caninio
- Terme delle Province
- Caserma dei Vigili
- Terme di Nettuno
- Terme di Nettuno. I mosaici
- Insula del Soffitto Dipinto
- Horrea di Ortensio e Horrea dell'Artemide
- Fontana di Via della Fontana